Friday, October 21, 2011

Princess of the Midnight Ball

    I have rekindled excitement for reading again. Which I am thrilled about. I finished reading Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George. And now I have a few new books sitting on my shelf just waiting their turn.
     This book is a retelling of one of my favorite fairy tales, The Twelve Dancing Princesses. A king has 12 daughters. Every night they go to sleep with beautiful dancing shoes, and every morning the king discovers that their shoes have been worn through. The king wants so desperately to discover his daughter's secret that he offers one of his daughter's hands in marriage - which would give the winner succession to the throne - to any man who can discover their secret. In the fairytale the daughter's love to go dancing, whereas in this book the daughters are cursed to have to go dancing each night, but have no way of breaking the curse. Until Galen, an orphaned soldier enters the picture. He becomes an under gardener to the king and falls in love with the eldest princess. Hand in marriage or not Galen is determined to break the curse and save the princesses from their misery.
     It was a fun read; interesting to take a short fairytale and turn it into an over 200 page explanation and background. Good read for young girls.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you enjoyed the book. It is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was made into a barbie movie as well my girls love it.

    ReplyDelete